Monday 15 October 2012

Imagine that Baba keeps a journal in which he comments on important events. Write an entry for this journal just after the kite tournament. In this entry he reflects on the tournament and on his feelings about Amir's victory. You should give careful consideration to your language choices and style, which should achieve a sense of Baba's voice.


December1975

Today wasthe day I have been waiting for. A day I can be a proud father. A day I canfinally say, 'My son Amir, my son, is a winner.'
Amir, thekite-fighter. Not to mention Hassan, the kite-runner.
Althoughit is a children's tournament, it was out of all the worthy children in Kabul. He has provenhimself to me, with everyone to see. And it was an impressive fight to witness.It may not be boxing or soccer, but it's something. None of this poetrynonsense, an actual man's sport. He was able to show off his intelligence andhis physical skill. The way he sliced those kites down one by one wasadmirable. A talent only a handful of people in Kabul have. A talent my son has. A talent myson is best at. My favourite moment, a moment I never wish to forget, was theblue kite, the kite that had cut down a majority of the other kites, fell toit's fate. I was so sure that kite was going to be the end of Amir's streak. Icould see that blue kite, swooping over Amir's and cutting it down. But so muchto my surprise, Amir beat the other kite-fighter to the end. And within a fewseconds, the blue kite was spiralling to the ground, marking my son's success.Marking my success as a father.
Of courseHassan deserves my credit also. I am so proud of Hassan. The greatestkite-runner in all of Kabul.My Hassan. If I was able to, I would reward Hassan with my love. If I thoughtAmir wouldn't be jealous. A weakness I wish he'd get over. If I could talk ofhow proud I was of Hassan, I would tell everyone in Afghanistan. I would tell them ofhow he ran kites like no one else, and how him and Amir managed to take downevery other districts best kite-fighting team. Amir would never have done itwithout Hassan, but Amir's pride and jealousy shadows over that fact. He willnot allow Hassan to take his fair split of the victory, but allow him to tastea short, sweet hint of it, before gathering it all for himself.
I dowonder though, will this be all I have to celebrate. In 20 years time wheneveryone's son is a doctor or a lawyer, will I still be talking of the day Amirwon the tournament?
Hopefully,this will be the beginning of my sons success.  

No comments:

Post a Comment